Monday, June 28, 2010

Plastic or Cloth?

This morning, while shopping at the Park Slope Food Co-op, I noticed this contraption:


What a great idea! Simply wash your old plastic bags, hang 'em on the wooden prongs and reuse them after they dry. Brilliant, eh? I'm not so sure...
Ten minutes earlier, I was picking through the red skinned potatoes when the woman next to me said "That is so neat, where do you get those?" She was referring to my cloth bag, which, incidentally, was a shopping bag from a dress I had purchased in SoHo two years before. I explained that the co-op sells drawstring bags, and my brilliant friend Kris had also made me some out of an old sheet. This is one of many, MANY incidents that have occurred since we switched from plastic to cloth. It mesmerizes me how many people are mesmerized by the use of cloth bags to put produce in, when it is, in fact, much easier than reusing plastic bags, wooden contraption or not.

2 comments:

  1. Parts of the green movement are slightly backwards. I guess there's usually something left to be desired with any kind of mass movement....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing contraption. I can't believe how it is made. I am so fascinated in that picture. I want to thank you for sharing it. I will be visiting this blog more often.

    ReplyDelete