Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Expiration of the Ziploc Bag

For years I had been using ziploc bags to carry everything from sandwiches, to chips, to cookies, to cherries. And before that, it was the zipless plastic bag or "sandwich bag". Remember those? Well I've finally found the next progression in the evolving plastic pouch. It's dubbed: the Fresh Snack Pack, and it's the first reusable plastic bag I've found that isn't a hassle to clean. It's made from EVA plastic, the same material used for baby teethers, which has been approved by the FDA and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) if that accounts for anything. The design in relatively sleek, and very practical. The food is placed inside the plastic sleeve, then it's folded over, so as not to allow the contents to spill out, and then a velcro strip secures it shut. On their website, they boast that:

We recently passed the 100th day of school and have been using and reusing the same sandwich bag all year...can your disposable bag do that? (That was last school year and guess what? We're still using the same sandwich bag.)

After having used my fresh little snack packs several times, they still look brand new. And they've been filled with tuna-salad sandwiches, PJ&J's, exploding cherries, you name it.

Now, the questions you all have at the tip of your tongues (or fingertips)- How much do they cost? The smaller one(4"x6"), which they call "snack size" costs a whopping $4.50, while the larger (8"x6") "sandwich size" costs $5.50. Plus, you can pick them up at your local green store, if you live in a relatively urban location, to avoid shipping costs (and packaging).

I feel like I'm creating an advertisement for this product, but really, I'm just excited to have an alternative to the ziploc bag. I've been pretty anti for a while, and I can't tell you how stoked I am to have found a sustainable substitute...

















"Sandwich Size"









"Snack Size"

No comments:

Post a Comment